Monday, October 10, 2011

Rocktober!

Ok, so as almost every week of my mission, this one has been equally up to par with all of them ''amazing'' after general conference I look over a lot of my notes that I wrote down, things that I felt prompted to write down, and a lot of them I forgot what they were just a few days after general conference, and this Sunday my bishop in one of my wards stood up at the start of fast and testimony meeting, and talked a lot about how so often we forget the moments that mean so much to us at the moment, but we lose sight of them throughout the trials of life. 

So while listening to him speak, it brought back so many memories that I forgot, and at the end of the day, I was laying in bed, trying to fall asleep and my mind is always running 1000 miles per hour, so I was laying there just pondering about the things that happened that day.  I remembered a trek experience I had, at the start of trek bishop lee gave every family in our party a bucket of rocks, and said that they were our trials and our sins in this life. We had to carry these around everywhere we went, so we pulled our handcarts all day, and got to our campground and set everything up, and the next morning we went on trekking again, still with the rocks in our handcarts. Almost towards the end of the day, when we were coming towards the end of our pulling and pushing of the handcart for that day, we stopped at a small river that ran across the valley, I was asked to grab a hand full of rocks. Doing so I walked over to bishop Lee who was standing at the edge of this small stream, he talked to me about the love that our savior has for us, that how much burden I was carrying and how I didn’t have to, he then took the rocks from my hand and tossed them into the water before me. It was a wonderful experience where I felt the spirit, it made me want to be better cause I felt an instant lift off my shoulders, just knowing that Christ paid for those little rocks that eventually becomes a big burden.

And so while I was lying there thinking about this experience, I thought of how easy it is to have these huge spiritual moments, and our testimony is so strong at that time, we feel like nothing could prove us otherwise, but what about when we are weak? When we don’t have those moments to push us forward, helping us, it’s really difficult. So while lying there I guess it made me feel like even though, I’ve had wonderful experiences, I need to stay focused and prepare myself for when the weak times come, cause it’s easy to forget those huge moments when we are weak.

 Something that I’m going to do, and I would encourage anyone else to do it also, is keep a small note pad with you, and  write down just a brief explanation of when you feel the spirit reveal something unto you! And when you look back on your notes it will surprise you.

I wish I had more time, but I am still in Wichita, been here for 6 months, transfers are on the 27th, so if you’re going to send a letter or anything be sure to do it pretty soon so that I don’t leave before it gets here! Love ya family you are the shiz! Thanks so much for all the awesome pictures you send! They are so great! Oh and for all who don’t know, Conor Andrus got his mission call!!!! He is going to serve in the Scotland/Ireland mission!!! So be sure to give him a congrats when you can! Have an awesome week!!! Elder Spencer Dahl

No comments:

Post a Comment